Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Still growing strong...

We had a second ultrasound today. Justin thinks the two ultrasounds are because we are being scammed by the doctor's office. I think we had an overzealous midwife, who didn't double check her advice.

The purpose of this ultrasound was to also get a fetal echocardiogram. Even though my health has been great and I am really in ideal condition (for me) to have a baby, my funky immune system might still effect the baby. Basically, I have several auto-antibodies (my perfectionistic tendencies - my body couldn't stop with just attacking viruses, it also ended up attacking me)! One of those anti-bodies is associated with a 10% risk of fetal heart block - an electrical heart problem that would cause the baby to need a pacemaker and other precautions would also have to be taken including closer monitoring and a likely c-section.

I was actually looking forward to finding out today how the baby's heart was doing. I think I will feel better knowing what we are facing. Turns out that at 16 weeks, the baby's heart is just too small for an ECG. Makes sense, but I wish we could have been scheduled appropriately. We've been rescheduled for early September.

The good news is that the baby keeps growing well, and it was pretty amazing to see how much he has developed in just the last two weeks. This was also a higher resolution ultrasound, so we got to see details, like the cerebellum and the four chambers of the heart, we couldn't see last time. We got a second good view of the "boy parts," no vagueness there! So far he is a healthy and (I like to think) happy little boy.

2 comments:

kari said...

Oh, I know for sure that little baby is happy! :)

Jeff and Heather said...

how exciting!!!!!! :)