Monday, August 10, 2009

The "bump" emerges

I am now almost at the half way point, 19 weeks. For those of you who don't speak "pregnancy weeks," and I didn't until I got pregnant, the average pregnancy lasts 40 weeks. Any pregnancy that goes to 38 weeks is considered full term. Since each "month" lasts 4.3 weeks, being at 19 weeks means that I am in my 5th month. I have gotten to the point that regular clothes just aren't very comfortable any more, even though I can fit into some of my looser shirts. Wearing maternity clothes certainly makes me feel more pregnant.




The baby is now about 6 inches long and 8 oz. His muscles and nervous system are developed to the point where he can make coordinated movements. I sure can feel him too! Instead of the vague gurgling I got just a couple of weeks ago, now it feels like swipes and punches. He sure likes to let me know when I have slouched over at the waist too long (punch, kick "Mommy, you are squashing me!") and he seems to really enjoy sugary foods.

I have already noticed an interesting parenting difference between Justin and I. I remember learning in one of my Developmental Psychology classes that there are significant differences in "play" behaviors between parents of different genders - Mom's do more relational and nurturing play (i.e., feeding the dolly) and Dad's do more gross motor play (i.e., rough housing). With the baby, I like to just sit quietly and rest my hand on my belly, thinking about him growing and talking to him in my head. Justin likes to poke at or massage my belly, verbally and playfully teasing the baby, trying to get a rise out of him. Funny how these things play out!

1 comment:

Jeff and Heather said...

You are still so adorable!!! Wish we could see you in person!!! :)